The Heart of Darkness written by Joseph Conrad is a book that talks about imperialism in the point of view of the imperialist. This book is very hard to comprehended because there are a lot of vocabulary words and the narration shift to Marlow and then to the person who is listening to the story. However; this book is detailed making it possible for the reader to visualize the event. I'm able to depict an image of the setting and the surrounding of the place where is Marlow is at because he describes every thing to its perfection. The imagery that the book gives to the reader allows the reader to understand and create emotions based on the description that Marlow gives us.
There are a few questions that I have about this book such as if Marlow has converted to Buddha because of his journey. Does Buddhism create a scenery of peace which makes him forget about the horrific event he experienced throughout his journey? As of know, I'm still confused about what's going on in the book. To be honest this book can be hard to follow, but I sometimes I get little bits of information that tells me what is happening. Marlow mission is to find Mr. Kurtz and I wonder how he got lost and why is he so important?
It is a difficult text. I think it is important to break it down as you go, and try not to let it become overwhelming.
ReplyDelete