Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Taming of The Shrew (CRR)
Taming of The Shrew is written by William Shakespeare and he is a well known author that everyone knows. I read a lot of books that William Shakespeare wrote and some of them were good to read. To be honest Taming of The Shrew is one of the worst book that William Shakespeare has ever written because it's not interesting. I have a feeling that the book is not going to end the way I want it to end. Meaning that Kate is going to abide to the social construction of gender roles during William Shakespeare time period. It's sad to know that Kate might not be the independent woman that everyone thinks she is because sooner or later Kate is going to throw away the tower. Another reason why I don't like Taming of the Shrew is because it doesn't end in a tradgey and I've known Shakespeare to be a tragic playwright due to all the books I've read from him such as Othello, Macbeth, Ceaser, and Romeo and Juielt. Much Ado About Nothing is better than Taming of the Shrew beause it's interesting. I guess I don't like Taming of the Shrew because I know that a woman is going to obey the man who believes that woman are weak and they would soon be dominated by the male.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I feel very hot and cold about your stand point. Although Taming of the Shrew is in fact very boring-- because it takes almost 10 pages for one action to happen, I appreciate that it is different from the other Shakespearean texts like the infamous tragedies. All the Shakespeare plays that I've read are all tragedies, and I am just tired of them. I'm tired of the main character dying at the end of the story (and even more so, I'm tired of being able to correctly predict that the main character is going to die). I'm tired of the lying, skulduggery,and deceit that takes place throughout the story. It's nice for something to be lighthearted and funny (or at least the text tries to be funny) for a change. And I appreciate that you have such strong views of female empowerment in regards to this book. I can't help but think that you will do perfect at an all women's college...like Barnard :)
ReplyDeleteI hear you, but I think it is good for students to leave high school knowing that not every Shakespeare play ends with everyone dying. As far as debatable issues, feminism in Taming of the Shrew is so good to start discussions.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, the book is very dull and takes long for action to occur. However, I felt like the book could of have more flavor added to it to make it more intresting. Also, I disliked the ending because I also expected Kat to change the gender roles for women during her time period. Great blog !!!!
ReplyDelete